Last updated: December 3, 2015
Personal Information We May Collect
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual, such as:
- Postal address (including billing and shipping addresses)
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Your web browser
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address
How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Sites: We may collect Personal Information through the Sites, e.g., when you sign up for a newsletter, a publication or register for a seminar.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases; joint marketing partners; social media platforms; from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms, as well as from other third parties.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters or publications that you request or to register you for events.
- To send you our legal updates and mailings relating to our seminars or events that we think may be of interest to you.
- To keep a record of your contact information and correspondence, and use it to respond to you, if you contact us through the Sites.
- To send administrative information, for example, information regarding the Sitres and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To provide services, including the provision of seminars and other events.
- To allow you to send Sites-related content to a friend through the Sites. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your friend’s name and email address.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, enhancing, improving or modifying our Sites, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your state of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your state of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliated vendors and providers; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our vendors and providers, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third-party service providers that provide services such as website hosting, Sites-related consulting and monitoring, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other similar services.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Sites.
- By you on services to which you are able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Facebook Page). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these Sites will become public information, and may be available to us, to users of the Sites and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Sites.
- To a third party (whether affiliated or unaffiliated with us) in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your state of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your state of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our vendors and providers; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our vendors and providers, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- Usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We May Collect Other Information
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services (such as the App) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Sites function properly.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Sites to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Sites (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Sites and response rates.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Sites, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites and applications. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels of the Sites, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Sites.
- From you: Information such as your location, as well as other information, such as your preferred means of communication, is collected when you voluntarily provide this information. Unless combined with Personal Information, this information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Sites.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Sites, (for example, we may aggregated Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
How We May Use and Disclose Other Information
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it as described in “How We May Collect Other Information” section above, as well as for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your geographical location). If we combine any Other Information with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated by us as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION ABOUT WEBINARS
Webinars offered as a service to users of the Sites are hosted by unaffiliated third party vendors, and not by us. Our third party vendors require users to provide Personal Information, such as name and email address. Users seeking continuing legal education credit also may be asked to provide their State Bar number(s). Please note that this Personal Information is collected by our vendors, and not by us. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of our vendors, which control how such vendors handle Personal Information provided by you to register for the Webinars.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as any app, social media platform, or wireless service provider, including any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Sites.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving these marketing-related emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in any such message or by contacting us by email at email@example.com. We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot opt-out from receiving administrative messages.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
You may request to review, correct, update, suppress, or otherwise modify any of your Personal Information that you have previously provided to us through the Sites, or object to the use or processing of such Personal Information by us. You may exercise these rights by logging on to your subscriptions account here or by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information that you have provided to us suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information that you have provided to us For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION FOR INDIVIDUAL CALIFORNIA USERS
Low, Ball & Lynch
505 Montgomery Street, 7th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
Attention: Karen Fergus
We will provide a list of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties (i.e., our vendors and providers ) for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or mailing addresses specified in this section.
USE OF SITES BY MINORS
The Sites are not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we request that these individuals not provide Personal Information through the Sites.
The Sites are controlled and operated by us from the United States, and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., Social Security numbers, credit card or other payment card information, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Sites or otherwise to us.
Low, Ball & Lynch
505 Montgomery Street, 7th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
Attention: Karen Fergus
Please note that email communications are not always secure; so please do not include credit card information or sensitive information in your emails to us.